Prenatal Care In South Africa – A Pledge To A Healthy Society
Why Is Prenatal Care?
Throughout your pregnancy, you will get prenatal care from a doctor, nurse, or midwife. It contributes to the health of both you and your future child. Prenatal care refers to the medical attention you receive while you are pregnant. Start taking care of yourself and your baby by doing the following.
- Getting prenatal care as soon as possible. Call your doctor to make an appointment if you know you're pregnant or suspect you are.
- Getting prenatal care on a regular basis. Throughout your pregnancy, your doctor will arrange several appointments for you. Make sure you don't miss any of these; they're all crucial.
- Take your doctor's advice into consideration.
Purpose Of Prenatal Care
Prenatal care can help you and your baby stay healthy during your pregnancy. Babies born to women who do not get prenatal care are three times more likely to be born with a low birth weight and five times more likely to die than babies born to moms who do.
When doctors meet moms on a frequent basis, they can detect health concerns early. This helps doctors to treat them as soon as possible. Many disorders can be cured or prevented with early therapy. Doctors can also advise pregnant women on how to give their unborn children a healthy start in life.
Do’s and Don’ts Of Prenatal Care
- Prenatal care should be sought early and on a frequent basis. Whether this is your first or third pregnancy, health care is crucial. At each visit, your doctor will examine to see if you and the baby are in good health. If there are any issues, taking action as soon as possible would benefit both you and the baby.
- Every day, take a multivitamin or maternity vitamin with 400 to 800 micrograms (400-800 mcg or 0.4-0.8 mg) of folic acid. Although folic acid is most vital during the first trimester of pregnancy, you should continue to take it throughout your pregnancy.
- Before discontinuing or starting any medications, consult your doctor. Some medications are not safe to use while pregnant. Keep in mind that even over-the-counter drugs and herbal supplements might have negative side effects or trigger additional issues. However, not taking the medications that you require might be dangerous.
- X-rays should be avoided. If you need dental work or diagnostic testing, let your dentist or doctor know you're expecting so they can take additional precautions.
Lifestyle Tips For Prenatal Care
- Increase your weight in a healthy way. Your doctor can advise you on how much weight gain to expect throughout pregnancy.
- Don't smoke, drink alcoholic beverages, or use illegal substances. These can injure or affect your kid in the long run. Consult your doctor for assistance in stopping smoking.
- Unless your doctor advises otherwise, make an effort to achieve at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of medium aerobic activity every week. It's preferable to spread your workouts out throughout the course of the week.
- If you worked out frequently before becoming pregnant, you can continue to do so as long as your health does not deteriorate and you visit your physician about your activity level during your pregnancy.
Find out how to have a healthy pregnancy.
- Avoid taking excessively hot baths, hot tubs, or saunas.
- Get lots of rest and learn to manage your stress.
- Get educated. Read books, watch videos, attend a birthing class, and chat to other moms.
- Inquire with your doctor about birthing classes for both you and your spouse. Classes can assist you in preparing for your baby's delivery.
Joint Medical Holdings Prenatal Care In Durban, South Africa
The obstetrics and Gynecology Department facility at JMH Group in South Africa is contemporary and well-equipped. Exclusive maternity care can be availed at our City Hospital as well as Durdoc hospital. These hospitals in Durban are supported by many groups of experienced experts, provide services in the areas of gynecology, prenatal care, post-delivery care, and childbearing years and beyond.
Our core field of practice is newborn delivery, and our main goal is to make every child's birth a natural, memorable, and pleasurable event. We also offer the best GI cancer treatment in Durban. The services are extensive, and the unit is staffed by doctors who are well-known in the field.